There are several types of configurations but it will depend especially if you want a short-term profitability, medium term, long term, the cost of your electricity, your knowledge, the time you can devote to it and finally the number of cards per RIG That you wish we can therefore not make a perfect configuration up to date every week. Nevertheless, it is important to choose your configuration with the best value for money and we can offer you examples with a RIG of 4 graphics cards, 5 graphics cards or 6 graphics cards.
Material to be chosen to undermine Cryptos-currencies
Cheapest processor depending on your motherboard + original fan shipped with. Be sure to check your socket so that it is compatible with your motherboard.
PCI Express motherboard for 4 cards/5/6 + Choose socket type For example 1150/1151 (or other). The Asrock H81 PRO BTC is ideal for minors generally. Warning: Windows 7 does not allow detection beyond 4 graphics cards without modification, so it is better to put Windows 10 if you want to put more than 4 cards, this avoids unpleasant surprises.
Ram 4GB + Check the model with your motherboard to be compatible (DDR3 + frequencies to check for example) greater than 4GB This is no use for mining, either with Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10 or Linux.
HDD/SSD/HDD/USB key (Linux) We recommend a 60GB SSD, plus this is useless and it costs + expensive. A SSD in the event of a restart of Windows that takes place much faster than a HDD. Greater than 60GB This is no use for mining. You can also use a HDD, the cost will be lower and the SSD just serves as “comfort”, this does not improve the performance regarding mining.
Graphics card/Nvidia 1060, 1070, 1070ti, 1080, 1080ti/AMD R9 290/RX 470 480 570 580. We recommend Nvidia for beginners but not that! The top for us is the Nvidia GTX 1070ti, hashrate high on Equihash/other and low consumption. The GTX 1060 allows a faster ROI given the cost of buying + low but a longer electrical cost in the long run. If you have a low electricity cost and if the noise and heat are not a problem for you, it is possible to orient yourself to graphics cards of energy-consuming, noisy and which provide a lot of warmth but which are interesting for The price and the hashrate. (R9 290 for example)
Riser 1x to 16x extension to be able to put your graphics cards on the 1x (16x) ports on your motherboard. We recommend these: risers Aliexpress do not connect your risers all together on a single SATA cable, we recommend that you put 2 risers per SATA cable maximum.
Power supply Unit (PSU) with 80 Plus certification and the number of Watts depending on your graphics cards. Note: The power supply is very important, do not take NoName or power supply without the 80 plus certification, plus we also recommend you to take a Gold but it will depend on your electricity cost. Don’t forget to look at our article about the differences between feeds to learn more about 80Plus standards. You can also put two power supplies on 1 single RIG it is quite possible with the help of a coupler on the power connector.
Ethernet Cable + Router If need we own this router personally, it is perfect and cheap for those who have a lot of RIGs: LDL otherwise you can find other cheaper routers if you do not have the utility of the above.
A power meter The consumption of a RIG is defined according to the processor as well as graphics cards mainly. A power meter will be the only equipment that can define your consumption precisely.
Dummy plug HDMI (not required) allows you to not be blocked by a display of 800×600 if you access remotely on your RIG (s). A RIG can run without a screen and also without Dummy HDMI plug. Comfort tool for the remote. “Small USB Key” that connects behind your graphics card on the HDMI port.
On/OFF Rig button (not required) allows you to turn on your rig using a small push button. Not necessary, it is possible to turn on his RIG with a screwdriver, scissors or other.
Example of a mining configuration for 4 graphics cards:
Each example of configurations will be different depending on the country in which you reside.
- Motherboard = Asus H81M Plus (socket 1150), 4 PCI-E ports to connect your 4 graphics cards.
- Processor + cooler = Intel Celeron G1840 (socket 1150), sufficient processor, needless to take something better.
- feed = Corsair 850M 80Plus Bronze or Gold or LEPA 700w MaxGold, see our article on the differences between standards.
Regarding feeds, no matter the brand (but no NoName), we look at the warranty period and we take the standard 80Plus Gold even if we appreciate BeQuiet for its non-existent noise.
- Graphics card = Nvidia GTX 1060ti, 1070, 1070ti, 1080ti, AMD RX 570/580 and don’t forget to check the number of PCI-E ports on your power supply.
- SSD 60GB = Silicon Power, Goodram there are plenty of them, you find the best price, the brand does not matter.
- RAM memory = 4GB DDR3, there are plenty, you find the best price, the brand does not matter.
- 1x 16x riser with a quantity greater than 4, it is best to have 1 or 2 in advance.
You can also buy used equipment, we advise against it on the graphics cards without knowing its use and you can not believe a seller on parole, so be careful.
Example of mining configuration for 5 graphics cards:
Two choices possible because it depends on which socket one wants to orient.
- Motherboard = Asrock 970 Extreme 4 (socket AM3 +) or Asrock B250 Gaming K4 (socket 1151 but DDR4)
- Processor + Cooler = AMD Sempron 145 (socket AM3 OK for the CM) or Intel Celeron G3930 (socket 1151)
- Power supply = BeQuiet Straight Power 11 1000 W 80Plus Gold or other.
- Graphics card = Nvidia GTX 1060, 1070, 1070ti, 1080ti, RX 570/580.
- SSD 60 GB = no matter the brand.
- RAM memory = 4GB DDR3 for Asrock 970 Extreme 4 and 4GB motherboard DDR4 for Asrock B250 Gaming K4 Motherboard
- 1x 16x riser with a quantity greater than 5, it is best to have 1 or 2 in advance.
We do not appreciate the configurations for 5 graphics cards, few choices, expensive hardware. Minors usually make configurations for 4 graphics cards or 6 graphics cards see +.
Example of the mining configuration for 6 graphics cards: This is the preferred configuration of minors.
- Motherboard = Asrock H81 Pro BTC R 2.0, 6-Port PCI-E, socket 1150
- Processor + cooler = Intel Celeron G1840 socket 1150
- Power supply = BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 11 1200 W or Corsair HX1200i 1200 W or other.
- Graphics card = Nvidia GTX 1060, 1070, 1070ti, 1080ti, RX 570/580.
- SSD 60 GB = no matter the brand
- RAM = 4GB DDR3 No matter the brand
- 1x 16x riser with a quantity greater than 6, it is best to have 1 or 2 in advance.
You now have some examples of buying to make your RIG, remember to choose the best price but always with the recommended features throughout the article. If you have any questions, if you think it is missing something important to add or correct do not hesitate to write a comment.